The Metzler Congregation began when Swiss-German Mennonite settlers moved into the Conestoga Creek area in what is now north-central Lancaster County. Christian Wenger, a Mennonite leader, moved into the area in 1728 while a few years later in 1732, the Ephrata Cloister was founded by the dissident Dunkard minister, Conrad Beissel. Both Mennonites and Dunkards were becoming established in the area and people from both groups helped establish the German Monastic Colony at Ephrata.
No meetinghouse was built for the Metzler Congregation for nearly 100 years. This followed the pattern of many Mennonite communities where worship services were held in members' homes. The congregation took on the name "Metzler" when Jacob Metzler sold land for a meetinghouse and cemetery in 1827. The original frame building was replaced in 1897 with the present brick structure. Additions were added in 1952 and 1980. The Metzler Congregation has always taken a strong position on the Biblical teachings of Christian peacemaking and helping others.
Congregational records tell of assistance given to Russian Mennonite immigrants in 1874-1875. Today the congregation offers aid to local people, and through Mennonite Central Committee, helps people worldwide. The fellowship has maintained a peace position in every U.S. war going back to the Revolution.
The congregation used the German language for worship services until the late 19th Century. It was also at this time that it began a Sunday School. The congregation, which today numbers around 250, is one of several Mennonite fellowships in the area. The Metzler people still maintain many scripture based practices as their forefathers, but they have accepted modem conveniences. The members are challenged to make the gospel practical in their everyday lives.